Ginger Bread Men
To make your Ginger Bread Men, you will need the following ingredients.
- 140 g unsalted butter
- 100g dark brown sugar
- 3tbsp golden syrup
- 350g plain flour
- 1tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp of ground ginger and 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 2 balls of jarred stem ginger chopped.
- To decorate – 50g icing sugar, a few glazed cherries and 2 balls of stem ginger
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment. Melt butter, sugar and syrup in a pan. Mix flour, soda, spices and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Stir in the butter mix and chopped ginger to make a stiff dough.
- Wait until cool enough to handle, then roll out dough to about 5mm thick. Stamp out gingerbread men, re-rolling and pressing the trimmings back together and rolling again. Lift onto baking sheets. Bake for 12 mins until golden. Cool 10 mins on the sheets, then lift onto cooling racks.
- To decorate, mix icing sugar with a few drops of water until thick and smooth. Halve then slice cherries thinly to make smiles, and cut ginger into small squares. Spoon icing into a food bag, snip off the tiniest bit from one corner, and then squeeze eyes and buttons, and a tiny smile onto 1 man at a time. Stick on a cherry smile and ginger buttons. Repeat; leave to set.
Have fun with this activity and we recommend adult supervision at all times.